Friday, June 28, 2019

St. Peter's in Tiberias: Thursday, May 16, 2019


The first stop on our pilgrimage was the town of Tiberias, on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. One of the beautiful things I noticed first about Israel were all the gorgeous flowering bushes, trees, and gardens. 


We spent the first three days and nights of our pilgrimage in Tiberias. I loved being on the Sea of Galilee. Apparently a lot of Israelis do as it is a resort area. Tiberias was founded by Herod Antipas between 17-20 AD. Sometimes the Sea of Galilee is known as the Sea of Tiberias.


Our first Mass was at St. Peter's in Tiberias. There was a church on this site as early as 1100, built by the Crusaders. The current church dates to 1870. Above Fr. Michael prepares.


Above is a wall of the church built by the Crusaders.


During many of the Masses, I had thoughts about my brother Father Jim, who died on October 12, 2018. Or as I prefer to think of it, was born to eternal life. Feelings of sadness would well up within me; Jim was a priest but never traveled to the Holy Land. I would console myself by thinking about him in the perfect new Jerusalem.


The readings from the Mass centered on St. Peter, from his epistle and from Matthew 16: 13-19, when Jesus says, "you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church." Jesus puts Peter in charge despite all of Peter's weaknesses and failings: Peter tells Jesus he doesn't need to go through his Passion, he denies Jesus. But Jesus doesn't revoke Peter's commission. It's a good thing that Jesus asked such a sinner and screwup to be in charge of the Church. He would have empathy for the rest of us and be a comfort to us in our own sinfulness. 


The symbols for the four Gospel writers. They look modern, almost like a cartoon.


The lion, symbol of St. Mark.


Looking through the door of the courtyard to St. Peter's with a view of the Sea of Galilee in the distance.


Today is the feast day of St. Brendan. According to Fatih ND, "His faith led him to great adventures at the ends of the known world."He wrote the Navigato, which chronicles his travels. It is also the 16th and golden birthday of my son Luke. I miss him and John and will be praying for both of them on this pilgrimage.


Onto the hotel for our first night in the Holy Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment