Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Tel Aviv!


I stayed in Tel Aviv for a couple of days in between Prague and beginning my pilgrimage. Tel Aviv, which means "hill of spring" is the second largest city in Israel and the technological and economic engine of the country. The city is located on the Mediterranean Ocean and the reason cruise ships can stop in Israel. 


My friendly cabbie wanted me to sit in the front seat and then took me on a death-defying, half hour ride from the Ben Gurion Airport to my AirBnB place in Tel Aviv. The city was hopping in part because it was hosting Eurovision and in part because it is always hopping.


I had never heard of Eurovision before, but it was a big deal, with an article in the airline magazine and signs everywhere. The cabbie pointed it out to me as we drove by the beach. Eurovision is a singing contest that started after World War II to promote unity in Europe. Each country sends one performer to Eurovision to compete for a trophy and the glory of winning. The only two winners whom you may have heard are ABBA and Celine Dion. If you're interested in learning more, here is an article for confused Americans about Eurovision.


Above is the building I stayed in and below is my room. The other residents--mainly young people-- staying there looked more upscale than the building would indicate. Groups of young people walked the streets. Many of them looked very American to me but then I would hear them speaking Hebrew as they passed.


I got a box of crackers, a package of Swiss cheese, some coke, and a screw top bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from the store down the street and those were my provisions for the next couple of days.


Tel Aviv is an interesting place, which I would have enjoyed more if I hadn't been obsessing about my lost luggage. It reminded me a little of Santa Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Also Manhattan and West Berlin, when it existed. The city and the whole country are not quite first world but definitely not third world. Or maybe they are the first world, certainly parts of Tel Aviv and Israel are, but first world that is scruffy around the edges.

It seems as if a lot of young people live in Tel Aviv. On my first night there, a Tuesday, I looked out the window at 2 am, and the streets and sidewalks were packed. This was probably in part due to Eurovision, but I have a feeling that Tel Aviv is like this all the time. It's a, Wild West, party mood kind of place.


Above, an example of construction.


I went for a walk and came upon this great market.


Such an abundance and so colorful!


When I was worried about my lost luggage, I made a list of my blessings regarding this: 
  1. I have my glasses (so could take out my contacts)
  2. I have my phone charger. Very important
  3. I have an Israeli adapter so I can use my important phone charger
  4. I have the toiletries bag from El Al.


I also wrote a prayer addressing the situation.

Dear God,

I'm sorry about my near panic and despair in the face of minor problems and setbacks. Help me to feel the deep down alrightness in all circumstances, especially the trying ones. Help me cultivate calmness and attention so that I might focus on others and problem solving and so dissolve any unhelpful anxiety. Let me be a ray of sunshine in all situations. Amen.

I'll leave you with this fun street scene as the last image of Tel Aviv. (I think the street singer sounds better than Lionel Richie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment