Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Churches, a Clock older than Columbus, and the Infant of Prague


I arrived in Prague on Saturday, so Elizabeth and I decided to go to evening Mass. There was an English language Mass at St. Thomas at 6 pm. St. Thomas is in the busy baroque style.


I took a photo of the 9th Station of the Cross, Jesus falls the third time, as I do in many of the churches I visit. As I was wandering around the church taking photos, the sacristan approached me and asked me if I would read at Mass. This was quite the coincidence as I was scheduled to read at this Mass in my home parish of St. Mark's! Elizabeth later told me that she referred the sacristan to me.


One of the many interesting features of Prague--you will look up at a building and see statues like this.


We went to Old Town Square to watch the hourly Walk of the Apostles in the Prague Astrological Clock. This clock was constructed in the 1490's. A few others are waiting too,


The clock is flanked by four figures representing negative things about life. On the far right is a statue staring in a mirror that signifies vanity. Next to him is a statue holding a bag of gold, a sign of greed. On the other side of the clock is a skeleton that represents death. And the last fellow with the musical instrument denotes lust. The two windows above are open as the Apostles prepare for their walk.


There they go. Not sure which two Apostles those are.


Leaving until the next hour.


The Vltava River, which flows through Prague. The National Theatre is the rounded building with the gold on top in the distance.


The gothic cathedral, St. Vitus, is perched over the city. There was a long line to get in so we passed.



The back of St. Vitus.


On Sunday, we went to the Church of Our Lady Victorious, where the famous Infant of Prague is located.  Above is a little chapel to the left as you enter the church.


But this is not the Infant of Prague, or at least not the main one. It reminds me when I was in Florence in 1985 and there was an imitation statue of David outside.



Here is the real statue in all its creepy glory. The statue has a long, complicated history that may have started in Spain and many people throughout the years have venerated the statue. I like the idea of venerating the Child Jesus, but maybe not like this: the Las Vegasidation of the Baby Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment